Saturday, 17 March 2012

Home-schooling a Toddler: Learning to pour activity


I found this activity in the book I mentioned in my last homeschool post. I figured it would be a really good way to get both kids playing and learning together. According to my book, this activity is suitable for ages 2.5-5. 



I changed it a bit to make it suitable for Naomie at 18months. I didn't want her to be left out while Leyla got to have a fun time. The book uses rice but I used dried goji berries since I had them in.


I got two measuring cups and two plastic bowls. I put one bowl and one measuring cup on a tray each then added a small handful of goji berries to the measuring cups. (Ignore the Christmas tray, all my other ones are being used :P) I took this in to the kids and showed them how to pour the berries from the cup to the bowl, and then back again. Then I left them to play and sat back and watched.

 

Leyla played for about 5 minutes but got bored pretty quickly and started eating the goji berries instead lol. 


Naomie sat for a while longer but couldn't really get the hang of pouring. She smeared them all over her tray then picked them all back up and put them back into the cup and the bowl haha. After I showed her again, I could see that she knew what she was trying to do. She was trying to pour them from one to the other but she just couldn't manage it. They all ended up on her tray every time. She didn't give up for ages though!

All in all, I'd say this was definitely more of a success with Naomie than it was with Leyla. I might try next time to have Leyla pour something a bit harder like water. I might try that one outside haha!

11 comments:

Whitney @ Pen Pals and Picture Books said...

Isn't it funny what will amuse them- and teach them at the same time? Pouring, kids love it! I should definitely try using rice because we've had plenty of little hands experimenting with water around here and we're pretty much just all wet. :)

Clairejustine said...

Great post,thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays :)

Shiloh said...

That sounds like a really neat little project. I wonder if your older one would be more challenged if you gave her containers with a smaller mouth? I love how hard kids will work at stuff.:)

Alexis @ we like to learn as we go said...

My daughter would definitely start eating the berries too, but she's starting to learn things like that and it's so fun to watch! That's a great idea to get a home schooled book! I would love for you to link it up to my first link party. I know my readers would love it too! http://weliketolearnaswego.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-i-learned-wednesday-1.html

Danielle said...

What a cute way to teach pouring though and so simple. We homeschool too and started when my kids were toddlers. So fun! I am having a linky party today and would love for you to link this up to my Feature friday Linky Party.

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/03/feature-friday-linky-party_22.html

Danielle Blissful and Domestic

Jacki O. said...

I just love your blog! I've been looking for something just like this so that I can create a curriculum for my daughter. I found you through the Somewhat Simple link party-please stop by: http://redheadedmommycan.blogspot.com

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Your passion for teaching your children really comes through in your blog. Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday!

Angie Ramirez said...

Thanks for sharing this at C&I!

My lil toddler loves to do that over and over again! :)

ms.composure said...

Stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to show you some blog luv! def enjoyed this post :) new follower!

http://infinitelifefitness.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Polkadot-pretties said...

Thank you for linking up this fabulous project!!
I hope you will stop by and link up another great project
http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/you-inspire-linky-party_24.html

Claire xox

Jenny Melrose said...

So cute! Your girls are so sweet. This activity looks great for eye hand coordination and for healthy eating. Love it! Thanks for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...