Saturday, 31 March 2012

Lacey Flower Headband


I wanted a nice quick and easy craft to do today during naptime and I had this stretchy lace that I had been dying to make into a headband with a something on. I finally got round to it! I cut my stretchy lace to 16.5" since that was just nice on Naomie's head. You want it to be a little bit stretched when it is on or it will fall off. Cut your lace to your baby's head measurement then you will lose some of that length when you over lap your pieces to glue together. This should make the headband just the right size to fit nicely on your baby's head :)


Heat up your glue gun then apply a dot of glue to one end of the lace. Make sure your lace is not twisted, then press your second end onto the glued end. I held mine together with a peg so I wouldn't have to do it with my fingers and potentially burn myself.

I left mine to dry then double checked it fit Naomie's head. Feel free to make adjustments here if it is not a perfect fit.


While I was waiting for my glue to dry, I started making the flower. I used some hot pink DK yarn I had lying around and a 4.5mm crochet hook. To make the flower:

1. make a magic loop, ch3 and work 11dcs in loop, join with sl st in top of ch 3 (12)
2. ch1, turn, sc in same st, *ch4, sk1st, work sc in next st* around, end with sl st in 1st sc
3. ch1, turn, work (sc, hdc, dc, dc, hdc, sc) in each loop around, join with sl st in 1st sc, bind off and weave in ends. (While weaving my middle end of yarn in, I attached a white button with a simple cross then weaved in a bit more and tied a knot to secure.)

Next I made the back of the flower using a 4mm crochet hook (I used a smaller hook so it would be slightly smaller than on the flower, I didn't want to be able to see it from the front) and the same yarn:

1. make a magic loop, ch3 and work 11dcs in loop, join with sl st in top of ch 3, bind off and weave in ends. (12)


Lay your flower right side down, lay the join of the lace on top, then add the back of the flower right side up. Either hot glue or stitch down. I stitched since this is my first ever! time using a glue gun and I am still not totally sure of my abilities haha.


Unfortunately, Naomie is otherwise engaged in peepsland at the minute so I had to make do using their little hairdressing dolly head as my model :)

15 comments:

Heatherly Loves said...

I really like your headband. I found your through the blog hop. You have a wonderful blog. Now linky following you!
:)
xoxo
Heather
www.heatherlyloves@gmail.com

Judy Haughton-James said...

I learnt to crochet in my teens. I need to try making something like this. This headband looks really lovely.

Jessica said...

How clever. I think I could make this without too much trouble! Would you share this with my readers on Made for You Monday?
Jessica
http://www.clipwithpurpose.com/easter-egg-bunny-craft-made-for-you-monday-linky/

Clairejustine said...

So sweet,My daughter would love this ...thanks again for linking up :)

Evelyn said...

I just found you on the Its So Very Cheri Blog Hop and am now following you on Linky. I love this little headband. I do crochet so I am trying it, my granddaughters would love it. I just pinned it. I would love for you to check out my little blog and maybe follow back.
Evelyn
http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/

Hannah said...

LOVE this!! It's sooo cute! I need to make one for my little one! :)

Hannah@forcraftinesssake

Etcetorize said...

Super cute! Thanks so much for linking up at Etcetorize~

Jenny Melrose said...

I love the pink flower. The elasticity of the lace makes it seem like my two year old might actually leave it on her head. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

Samantha said...

Thanks for linking up your projects to Cowgirl Up! I love this headband, a girl can never have too many accessories.
:) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

Polkadot-pretties said...

Thank you for linking up this fabulous project!!!!
I hope you will stop by tomorrow and link up another great project

http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/

Claire xox

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

That's super cute! Thanks for sharing at The Little Giggler! :)

Alexis @ we like to learn as we go said...

That is so cute! I'm learning how to crochet, this looks like the perfect project! Thanks for linking up to What I Learned Wednesday!

Hani@Craftionary said...

a cute accessory, your girl would be so happy. :)Thanks for linking up at friday fun party!

Julie said...

Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/04/white-chocolate-tropical-dessert-show.html

Polkadot-pretties said...

Thank you for linking up this fabulous project...
Can’t wait to see what you have been up to this week!!
This weeks linky party is now up !!
http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_14.html
Claire x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...