Friday, 9 March 2012

Leek and Potato Soup


I made the scrummiest soup the other day. Well, I made it and Leyla was my little helper!! It was lovely and even the babies enjoyed it, though it could've done with being a bit thicker for them since they got it everywhere!

400g leeks, finely chopped and well rinsed
2 x onions, peeled and chopped
2 x carrots, washed and chopped
2 x celery sticks, washed and chopped
2 x garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
1/2tsp turmeric
400g potatoes, peeled and chopped
2ltrs chicken stock/water (or 1.5ltrs if you prefer a thicker soup)
bouquet garni
seasoning (I used good grinding of black pepper, dash of turmeric, dash of cayenne pepper)

Heat some oil in a frying pan and cook the leeks, onions, carrots, celery and garlic for about 10mins. Add the garam masala and mix to coat (add more oil if needed). Add the potatoes and stock along with the bouquet garni and seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce heat and leave to simmer for 25mins. Blend well. I serve mine with a few leaves of parsley for garnish and a good drizzle of lemon juice. I've never tried it but apparently this soup is really nice cold aswell!

Enjoy :D

**ETA: When I wanted to make leftovers a few days later, I didn't have enough soup left. I chopped up 4 small parsnips and 4 mushrooms, boiled them in plenty of water for 10mins until the parsnips were soft, then drained them, put them back in the pan and poured the leftover soup over the top. I gently reheated then blended all together. I did have to add a little bit more water to get the right consistency, I used the water I boiled the vegetables in for extra flavour. Yummy!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...