Tuesday, 15 May 2012

The Best Coffee Cake in the World...

...Well, in my opinion anyway :) It's not the prettiest cake but it's definitely the tastiest!


I got this recipe off my Mammy and I have to say, it turns out perfect every single time. Me and Paul can devour a whole one in two days and we don't even really have big appetites! It is just that good! My Mam got the recipe out of an old Be-Ro recipe book she has that is so old and passed down through the family that it is falling apart now. The recipe was for a basic Victoria Sponge and my Mam worked her magic, added a few things and turned it into The Best Coffee Cake in the World ;)

The Best Coffee Cake in the World

200g butter, softened
200g sugar
4 x large eggs (or 4 x medium eggs and a splash of water)
200g self raising flour
1tsp coffee granules

For the buttercream:
100g butter, softened
100g icing sugar
1tsp milk
1tsp coffee granules

Heat oven to 180C/GM4/350F. Grease two 7" sandwich tins. Cream butter and sugar together until well mixed and pale in colour. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding 1tbsp flour with each. Sift the rest of the flour and add to the mixing bowl. Mix the coffee granules with a little hot water, stir to melt then add to the bowl. Gently fold together, don't mix too much or your cake will be dense. Pour into the two sandwich tins and bake for 25-35mins. Your cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.

To make the buttercream, mix together the butter and icing sugar until well combined. Mix the coffee granules with a little hot water, stir to melt and pour into the bowl. Add the milk and stir well together. Spread over one of the cakes. I like to face both bottoms into the middle of the cake, so I spread one bottom of cake with buttercream then add the bottom side of the other cake. I find this helps it look prettier.

Sprinkle icing sugar over the top of the cake and The Best Coffee Cake in the World is done :) Easy peasy!

Now go and devour it ;)






I'm linking here:


5 comments:

Amy - while wearing heels said...

It looks great...now to translate 'g's into whatever I have :)

Recipes We Love said...

looks yummy... the problem is if I made something like this i would be the only one to eat it and i would eat it ALL

twelve-O-eight said...

Oh this looks really good! I think a Monday would be a great day to make a nice coffee cake. Here from Nifty Thrifty, and now following , Tanya :)

Cherished Handmade Treasures said...

I would love for you to come by and share this post on the Creative Corner Hop. The linky party starts on Monday and stays open all week.

Sandy
Cherished Handmade Treasures

Maria said...

Oooh this cake sounds really good (and I think it LOOKS great too!!), I love recipes like this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...