Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Meals on the Cheap: Turkish Lamb and White Bean Stew


As some of you might know, my Dad is Turkish. My Mam, my Dad and one of my brothers live in Turkey and when I go to visit them, this is one of my favourite ever meals to get when we are out. It is so easy to make and fairly cheap! Not to mention so tasty. Give it a try :)

Turkish Lamb and White Bean Stew (serves 2)

1 small packet diced lamb (or if I'm poor, I use casserole beef or just leave the meat out altogether)
1 cup cannelini beans
1 x onion
2 x garlic cloves
seasoning (I used a pinch of salt, plenty of black pepper and a pinch of turmeric)
1tbsp tomato puree
1tsp reduced salt bouillon powder (or a stock cube)
500ml cannelini bean juice and cold water mixed (or plain cold water if you prefer)
1 x lemon
rice, to serve

First of all, cook your cannellini beans. They usually need to be soaked overnight then cooked as per packet instructions. Or you could just buy tinned but I prefer to cook my own as it works out much cheaper. Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a pan and add the lamb, onion, garlic and seasoning. Mix well to coat then fry off until the lamb is cooked through. Add the tomato puree to the middle of the pan and cook, without stirring, for 30seconds. Add the bouillon and water mixture, mix well, bring to the boil, reduce heat and leave to simmer for 1hr (or 2hrs if using casserole beef). You want all of those lovely flavours to infuse and you want your sauce to reduce a little. Don't let the sauce dry out too much though, add more water or cannellini bean juice if needed. Add the cannellini beans 10 minutes before the end of cooking. When cooked, remove from the heat and squeeze in the juice from the lemon. Serve over rice with a little of the sauce drizzled on top.




Sometimes, I like to add some trimmed green beans to the pan for the last 10mins of cooking, to make a complete meal. Yummy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Find more Meals on the Cheap posts here.

I don't know about you but we are really struggling at the minute with our money situation and I am in need of some cheap but nutritious meals to keep us going and keep our food bills down.

I have been scouring the internet for recipe ideas to help me plan the next months meals and I will be sharing a new one every Wednesday.

I have decided to cut down our meat by half and bulk meals out with beans and chickpeas. I find that we spend quite a lot on meat as I don't like buying the value range at our supermarket, but this obviously ends up being pretty expensive.

I hope by the end of this, we'll have saved quite a lot of money on our food bills!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...