Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Soy-Free Vegan Quiche Recipe


Since becoming mostly vegan, I have found that I am struggling in some areas. Most things I have found nice substitutes for but I have struggled to substitute eggs in quiche because we do not eat soy. Most of the recipes I have found for vegan quiches use tofu in place of the eggs. I had just about given up hope of ever being able to eat quiche again when I came across this recipe! Turns out I didn't have any dried chickpeas or chickpea flour but I substituted brown rice flour and hoped for the best. Hmm...next time I will use chickpea flour, this version was a bit stodgy so hopefully using chickpea flour will help that.

The above recipe used puff pastry as a crust but I knew I had seen an olive oil crust recipe around that I much preferred the sound of. I did a bit of digging and found this recipe!

Woohoo! Looks like quiche is back on the table in the Mammy Made household :)

I made my quiche using lightly cooked onion and kale as a filling and my kids loved it. I love getting greens into my kids but they definitely make it difficult for me so I have to be a bit sneaky :P

Soy-Free Vegan Quiche (Serves 2)

For the pastry: (original recipe here)

150g plain flour (I originally planned to use wholemeal but I didn't have any so used white)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp chilli powder
freshly ground black pepper
pinch turmeric
30ml olive oil
60ml cold water

For the filling: (original recipe here)

1 tsp olive oil
1 x red onion, finely chopped
100g kale, finely chopped
150g brown rice flour / gram flour
360ml water
2 tbsp olive oil
seasoning (salt, pepper, pinch turmeric, pinch chilli powder, pinch mixed herbs)


First of all, make the pastry. This amount of pastry is perfect for my quiche dish, but mine is quite small. It makes just barely enough for 4 people with side dishes so remember to double the recipe if needs be. I used my breadmaker on the dough setting, just until it formed a ball. I then took it out of the breadmaker and gave it a little knead by hand, adding enough flour to make a soft dough. You can mix it together by hand if you do not have a breadmaker. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the wet and mix together with a spoon or your hands. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to the size you need then line a greased quiche dish. Leave to harden in the fridge for 30mins before using.

Now on to the filling. Heat 1tsp olive oil in a  frying pan and add the chopped onion. Leave to cook for 5-10mins, without stirring, to allow the onion to slightly caramelise. This is a brilliant tip that I learned from watching cooking shows on TV. The more you stir it, the more water you release from the onion, which prevents the onion from frying properly. Good to know! Wash the kale well then add to the pan, cover and leave to steam cook for about 10mins.

In a jug, mix together the flour, water, olive oil and seasoning. Whisk well to combine then set aside. Take your pastry case out of the fridge and prick the bottom a few times with a fork. Sprinkle with a pinch of oats to stop the pastry absorbing moisture from the filling. Spoon your onion and kale mixture into the case. Pour the flour and water mix over the top.

Heat your oven to GM6/200C/400F and cook the quiche for 35mins or until filling is set and pastry is golden brown.


The kids wolfed this down so I will definitely be making it again!

3 comments:

KidWorldCitizen.org said...

I have to try this!? Does it really work? My daughter is allergic to eggs, milk, and soy and this would be perfect for her!!

Mountain gal said...

What herbs did you use in this? You just say mixed herbs. thanks.

Adele said...

Any mix you like. I buy a pack of mixed herbs from the supermarket. I think it is parsley, basil, coriander and sage. You can just chuck in whatever you have though or even just use one that you especially like :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...