Sunday, 7 October 2012

Green Hummus Recipe


A while ago I posted a recipe for Red Pepper Hummus. I love that recipe but thought I would like to try a version made with leafy greens. I am always trying to find new ways to get leafy greens into my kids diet. So far I have had good results with blending them into a lentil soup but I needed more ways. I can't just give them lentil soup every night, as much as they might want me to :P

I decided to see whether hummus with added leafy greens would actually be palatable. Most leafy greens are quite strong tasting but then so is hummus so I was hoping that the taste of the leafy greens would be masked.

I used cavolo nero in mine since that is what I received in my veg box this week. You could use any leafy green you wanted, such as kale, spinach, romaine lettuce etc.


Green Hummus Recipe


1 cup chickpeas, cooked (or about ½ cup dry)
1 cup cavolo nero (or other leafy green), roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp tahini (optional)
1 tbsp hemp oil
3-5 tbsps lemon juice
1 ½ tsps cumin
salt and pepper
½ cup cold water

First of all, you will need to cook your chickpeas if cooking from dry. You will need to soak them overnight and then cook as per packet instructions, usually for 10 mins on rapid boil then an hour on a simmer. Mix all ingredients except water in a food processor. Blitz together, adding water as necessary to form a smooth(ish) paste.


Serve with vegetable sticks or a warm pitta bread. Yum!

I might not be around this next week because me and the kids are going visiting my Auntie Sandra. I'll have to see how easy it is to get online while I'm there so I might be around but probably not. See you when I get back :)

1 comment:

Mud Hut Mama said...

What a great idea to add in some greens - and it looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...