Monday, 25 February 2013

Crochet 3D Butterfly


I know I normally post Mint Stuff I've Seen on Mondays but I think I want to go a different route with this blog and start including more crafts and recipes every week. I'm going to give Mint Stuff a break for a few weeks and do an extra craft and an extra recipe post instead.


Now on to today's craft :)

Last month I joined a local knitting and crochet group. I wanted to meet more people who share my love of all things wool so I went along and had a brilliant time! We just sat and chatted and drank coffee and crocheted and that was my perfect night. We are currently making flowers and butterflies for a massive yarnbombing event taking place in March. I am soo excited!


I planned on making mainly butterflies because they are so cute but I couldn't really find a pattern I got on with. I started off using a free pattern by Maggie Weldon but could not get it to work for some reason. I think it's probably just my pattern reading skills, or should I say lack of, because I know other people have gotten on well with it. Anyway, with that pattern in mind, I came up with this cute little 3D butterfly pattern. I've been making loads of these and they work up very quickly. The beauty about this pattern is that you can experiment with different yarn weights and crochet hooks to get different looks. There's no real 'right' way. Just have a little play with it. Enjoy :)


Crochet 3D Butterfly

You will need:
main colour yarn (I used DK)
contrasting colour yarn (I used DK)
crochet hook (I used 4mm)
yarn needle

1. using main colour yarn, make a magic loop, ch3, 15dcs into loop, join with sl st in top of ch3 (16)
2. ch3, turn, dc in st at base of ch3, ch1, 2dcs back into same st *sk next st, (2dcs, ch1, 2dcs) in next st*, rep *-* till end, sk last st, join with sl st in top of ch3 (8 shells)
3. turn, do not work a turning ch, *2dcs in ch sp, ch1, 2dcs in ch sp, slst in space between prev rows shells*, rep from *-*, sl st inbetween last prev rows shells then join with sl st in top of first dc (8 petals)
4. ch1, turn, hdc in st at base of ch, sl st in prev rows sl st, (hdc in next st, dc in next st, dc in ch1sp, dc in next st, hdc in next st, sl st in prev rows sl st - first small wing made), [hdc in next st, dc in next st, trc in ch1sp, ch3, trc in  same ch1sp, dc in next st, hdc in next st, sl st in prev rows sl st - first large wing made], rep from [-] to make second large wing, rep from (-) to make second small wing, rep from (-) to make third small wing, rep from [-] to make third large wing, rep from [-] to make fourth large wing, rep from (-) to make fourth small wing, omitting last hdc which was worked at the beginning of the round, join with sl st in 1st hdc, join contrasting colour yarn, if using (4 small wings, 4 large wings)
5. ch1, do not turn, hdc in same st as join, sl st in prev rows sl st, hdc in next st, dc in next st, 2dcs in next st, dc in next st, hdc in next st, sl st in prev rows sl st, hdc in next st, dc in next st, trc in next st, 5trcs in ch3sp, trc in next st, dc in next st, hdc in next st, sl st in prev rows sl st, repeat around, omitting last hdc which was worked at the beginning of the round, join with sl st in 1st hdc, bind off and weave in ends.

Body:
6. ch40, bind off, tie a knot in each end of the chain. Fold your butterfly in half and wrap the chain around the middle. Tie in a knot at the top of the body.


Now to make about 10 more!

I'm linking here:

Lil\'Luna
Get Your Crap Together

7 comments:

RacMacA said...

Hi!
These are THE most adorable butterflies I've seen! I'm wondering, though; are the pattern stitches in UK terminology, or are they US? I can usually tell by the pattern, but the white yarn makes it hard to tell.
Thanks! :)
~Rachel

Adele said...

Thank you so much! The pattern is written using US terminology. I find it easier as I learned off of an american lady's video ;) x

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Your butterflies are fabulous, Adele. They'd be great as hair accessories or on kids' bags.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Hi Adele, I've featured your 3D butterflies today... Threading Your Way Features

Kathleen said...

Thanks so much for sharing this pattern! I really enjoyed making it and look forward to trying to get some nice photos tomorrow for my Ravelry project page. :)

Merry Charoline said...

Can I get the pattern please,
Thanks

Merry Charoline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...