Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Pixie Hat Pattern (Child size)


When Leyla was younger, I crocheted her a really cute little pink pixie hat. I can't remember for the life of me the pattern now but I loved the way it looked so I decided to improvise a new one for her. The old one was button closing and this one has braided ties so not exactly the same but still extremely cute!

This hat was so easy to make and worked up very quickly. Leyla has since told me that she would rather a pink one so this one will be going up in my shop. I am almost ready to open, just need to get a few more things made up. Anyway, more details about that soon :)

First of all, you need to know how big to make your hat. To work out your measurements, take a tape measure. Measure right around the top of your child's head, from where one side of the hat should fall to the other. This will give you your width measurement. For Leyla that was 18". To make sure your gauge is right, work up the first 3 rows then measure your width. It should hit exactly 18".

To make my hat, I used DK yarn in this lovely green colour and a 6mm crochet hook. Use whichever yarn weight and crochet hook needed to match the gauge.

Pixie Hat (Child 4-8 years)

1. ch62, hdc in 2nd ch from hook and across (61)
2-22. ch1, hdc across (60)
23. Fold in half lengthways to make a bonnet shape. Stitch the back together and fasten off. Weave all ends in.

Neck Ties:
Cut 12 lengths of wool measuring 45" each. Find the very corner of the hat, at the front, and thread the 12 lengths through, hanging half of the length either side of the joining hole, so you end up with 24 strands of wool. Braid the strands together in groups of 8 to get a nice plait. Tie off with a knot at the bottom and trim the ends. Repeat on the other side of the hat.


I am currently working on a toddler sized hat and an adult sized one, the both of which I will be blogging about in the near future so keep your eyes out for those :)

I'm linking here:


Lil\'Luna
Get Your Crap Together



6 comments:

Sarah @ Sarahndipities said...

This is darling! Thanks for sharing!

Chelsea@getyourcraptogether said...

Super cute! I'd love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Only those with patterns are invited to link up. Check it out!
http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

Pam @Threading My Way said...

This is SO cute!!! All the best with the shop.

~ Darlene said...

Very cute pattern (and model!) So simple I could even do it!!

Thanks for sharing!

~ Darlene at
www.MyHoneyBunch.CO

Chelsea@getyourcraptogether said...

Thanks for sharing on our Pattern Party! We have featured your design! Make sure to link up in April for our next party!
http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/2013/03/pattern-party-top-5-and-giveaway.html

Aadel Bussinger said...

Thank you! I've been looking for a "hood" pattern for a child for days. This is perfect. I'm making them for charity and wanted something different from the normal hats I crochet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...