Monday, 15 April 2013

My Homegrown Vegetable Patio Garden - Week 2


I have now officially got my tomatoes and potatoes planted :D


The potatoes are out in the garden. We planted them in three potato bags I bought from Homebase. I put about 5 inches of multi use compost in the bottom of each bag, then put the seed potatoes in, 5 in each bag, evenly spaced. I then added another 5 inches of the compost and let Leyla and Naomie water them.


Watering is a serious job!


My tomatoes are still in the house while they grow. The tomatoes I planted in Week 1 are growing nicely. They are little sturdy seedlings now!


The other tomatoes I have planted are a vine type I think, full sized, and a cherry tomato type. I can't remember the names now but will have a look for next week. In this little seed tray I have planted two seeds each of the full sized tomato in each cell on the top, and one on the bottom, then Leyla and Naomie have planted two cherry tomato seeds each in the other four bottom cells. Leyla and Naomie then watered them all very carefully so as not to wash away the tiny seeds. Oh, I used the same multi use compost I used for the potatoes. It's just an own brand one I got from Homebase. We will have so many tomato plants if they all grow well but we go through lots of tomatoes each week so I don't think we could ever grow too many!


Since I didn't have a propagator lid for the seed tray, I put two carrier bags over the top of the whole tray and tied. They are currently on the dresser in front of the window in my bedroom.

Hopefully by next week we will have quite a few seedlings!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...